Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Birthday Cards Day 2

Hi Everyone!
The rain has finally stopped. Pool party in my basement...again! Thank heavens for Robbie. He’s been in charge of the pump and the water vac. But like I said the rain has stopped so let’s move on to happier subjects. I am going to continue showing you birthday cards for the next day or so.

I used a Sizzix die to cut out the ice cream cone and ice cream on this card. I then paper pieced the cone and ice cream before placing them on the card. If you look closely you will see that I used the Cuttlebug Happy Birthday embossing folder to create the background of the card. I own more than one dozen different Cuttlebug folders and wish I would remember to use them more often.

This second card was also created by paper piecing. The cupcake pattern is from the Scrapbooks, ETC. web site. There are many different free paper piercing patterns available on their site. Sometimes I enlarge some of the smaller patterns on my scanner so that they are easier to use. I have a subscription to Scrapbooks, ETC. magazine. The magazine is mainly for scrapbookers, but there are ideas for cardmakers in it each month along with papercrafting tips and scrapbooking ideas that I alter to use on my cards.

This "Make a Wish!" Card was created with a DRS Designs rubber stamp. It’s not easy to see in the photograph, but after I heat embossed the stamped image and colored the candles and flames, I used Glossy Accents from Ranger on the candles and the flames. If you haven’t used this product it comes in a bottle that has a narrow tip on it. You squeeze the solution onto any part of an image. The solution dries to a hard, clear, glossy finish. When I am holding the card in my hand, the candles look "waxy" and "real" to me.

Another part of the card that I like are the buttons which are called "Favorite Findings". I buy Favorite Findings buttons at JoAnn’s and use an awesome tool called a Button Shank Remover to cut the shanks off the back of the buttons. This tool costs under $10 and is worth purchasing if you use any buttons that have shanks in your cardmaking.


So that’s it for today. My friends Toni and Peggy gave me some gift certificates to Michaels so I am off to "window shop". Yeah, right. I know no one would believe that about me! Carol

No comments: