Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Happy 60th Birthday, Gayle!

Hi Everyone!

Gayle and I have been friends for 27 years.  We met at the family daycare/nursery school I ran in my home called Fuzzy Duckling.  Gayle's sons, Ricky and Brian, and her nephew, Stephen, all attended Fuzzy Duckling. 

We used recycled materials such as paper towel tubes, egg cartons, and tissue boxes for many of the projects we did in school.  Gayle saved all of those materials for us and delivered them to us regularly.  Gayle's parents live in Cleveland.  Her mother used to ship boxes of recycled materials to us via UPS. 

The children were so excited when a package arrived that you may have thought it was filled with candy and toys instead of bottle caps and cardboard tubes.  One time she sent us the "jewels" from her old chandelier.  The children were convinced that she had sent us Ariel's necklace-from The Little Mermaid. 

Although our children have graduated from college, Gayle and now her children continue to save recycled materials so that I can use them in my teacher trainings and with the children I teach. 

Gayle will be celebrating her 60th birthday tomorrow.  I wanted to make her 60 of something and decided that gift cards were something I could accomplish.  I kept them simple by just stamping a sentiment on each one and adding a felt or dimensional sticker.  I rounded the corners of each card so at one point my dining room floor was littered with tiny scraps.  I used the vacuum cleaner that Gayle loaned me many years ago to clean them up.

I made a variety of baby boy, baby girl, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's Day, birthday, and all occasion mini cards for a total of 60 cards.


I also created a box for them.





And a card for Gayle.



Happy 60th birthday Gayle!

Have a nice night.
Carol

2 comments:

Peggy Burns said...

What a great idea, I'm sure Carol will love all the cards. You are a good friend.

Unknown said...

These are all wonderful! A lovely tribute to a dear friend too. How sweet to honor her this way.