Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

4th of July Cards

Hi Everyone!



What's a 4th of July celebration without watermelon, stawberries, and blueberries! The slices of watermelon on today's first card were stamped with a stamp from the Hero Arts Simply the Best clear stamp set. The layering papers are from SEI. SEI makes the yummiest papers!



I used a Martha Stewart ribbon threader punch to create the holes I used to weave through a piece of pink sorbet baker's twine from The Twinery. The 4th of July text was stamped with a wooden stamp from Northwoods Stamps.  I put some foam tape on the back of one slice of watermelon to add some dimension to the card.


The cover of Martha Stewart's July 2011 Living magazine is decked out with gorgeous patriotic cookies. The inside is packed with recipes and ideas for decorating for the holiday. One page spread showcases wagons and bicycles decorated for the annual parade. That photograph took me back more than 40 years when my twin sisters won the blue ribbon for their decorated doll carriages. The memory is fuzzy, but knowing my mom I am sure that they were probably wearing matching patriotic outfits that she sewed for them.


With that memory for inspiration I created this patriotic card. I think I'll send it to one of the twins.

The bicycle was stamped with a Hero Arts cling stamp and the pinwheels were stamped with A Country Welcome wooden stamp. The text is stamped with a Hero Arts clear stamp from their Celebrate Everyday collection. I used a Martha Stewart punch for the balloons. The bicycle is riding along a ribbon road from my stash. The maraschino twine is from The Twinery. I store my twine in a clear iris vase to add a touch of color to my own little corner.

Months ago I purchased a sampler pack of twine from The Twinery. I am sort of surprised that there's no blue and white twine in their collection, but other than that the sampler pack has 11 cheery colors of twine.

Years ago my grandmother, Nana Riley, used to buy us all sorts of delicious treats from Hanlon's bakery in West Roxbury. They had an overhead container that held twine. The worker would reach up and pull down a piece of twine to wrap around the box of baked goods. Funny how almost any memory can trigger a paper craft and how almost every paper craft can trigger a memory!


Today I am doing a family nature program. We're making clipboards, binoculars, and observation circles. Have a great day!


Oh, I have a quick request for anyone who is reading this post. Please leave a comment telling us how you store your border punches.


Have a great day!
Carol

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Cute cards! Love the watermelon card. And that's a LOT of twine! If that's the sampler I can't imagine the "real deal."

My border punches are just sitting on the shelf. But as I get more of them I'm running out of room. Guess they'll have to go into a basket or drawer. (very creative :) )

Carol Hartery said...

Hi Cindy!
Thanks for leaving a comment. My border punches are in a hanging basket, but one day I may think of a better way to store them.
The sampler package of twine is a lot of twine and is really enough for most of us to have.

Shirley said...

Wow! Where to start! The watermelons are wonderful and the card is so pretty! That bicycle is just outstanding with the balloons and the spin wheels. How creative!