Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Threaded Cards

Good morning!

Happy March 1.  In just a few weeks hopefully Spring will be here.  Meanwhile, I am happy to at least see blue sky and sunshine.


Like many of you I follow blogs and Pinterest in search of inspiration for my crafts and cardmaking.  The other day Dave Brethauer posted an amazing video on threaded cards at this link.  I hadn't seen this technique before and was intrigued by it. 

The gold thread I had was more like a thin cord, than thread so I went to JoAnn's and picked up a spool of Gutermann gold thread.  While I was out I also bought a spool of clear thread, but that's a story for another day.

Here are the cards I created.  Click on them to see a larger image.

 
 
I approached the technique a little differently than he did.  I die cut a circle through the top layer of a folded card and a piece of patterned paper.  I ran a piece of 1/8" Scor-tape around the circumference of the circle on the card.  Then I used a tape runner to put adhesive all around that area.  I used the gold cord to create "my web."  I learned from my first attempt that it is important that the thread is put down tightly.  Otherwise it will droop when you add a sentiment or embellishment to it. 

When I was satisfied with my "web" I carefully adhered the patterned paper to the front of the card.  Now the gold thread was sealed between the card and the patterned paper.  I cut another circle to create a frame for the web. 

Here is a close up of each card.

 
 
The sentiment was created with dies from The Stamps of Life.  The butterflies were created with a paper punch. 

The effect of this technique is fascinating.  I can't wait to try it again.  Maybe right now!

Have a great day!



No comments: