Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Organization Ideas Day 2 and More

Hi Everyone!
I have so many things to tell you today. Yesterday MaryBeth and I went to the Creating Keepsakes Convention in Manchester, New Hampshire. It was a last minute decision so we decided to only attend one class and to visit the vendors. Talk about letting 2 kids loose in a candy store! We had a total blast and purchased things that we haven’t seen in the local stores. I have new stamps, new embellishments, a couple of new paper punches, new blank cards, and lots of new ideas!

The class we attended was presented by Kim Hughes of PaperCrafts magazine. She was a terrific presenter. While she explained the activities, she had a great powerpoint on the screen behind her showing us what to do. It was a fast-paced class, and was also a lot of fun. My favorite part of the class was learning how to make a flower using a heart stamp and overlapping it again and again as we stamped.

When I got home last night I just had to make one card before I could go to bed. I decided to try one of my new get well stamps from the Take It EZ
collection from Woodware USA. This company was new to me so I only purchased one package of their clear stamps to try them out. The print quality of their stamps is awesome and I will definitely purchase other stamps from them soon. Their stamp is the one that says, "Heard you caught a little bug!" The dots on the red paper were created from Polka Dot Basics from PaperTrey Ink. I used one of my circle Nestabilities to punch a hole in the card and used a large glue dot to attach a ladybug Favorite Findings to the card.

Okay, need to step back for a while. The other day I wrote about some of the ways I organize my supplies and Pattye asked a question about ribbon. I store my ribbon in more than one way. Many of my full size ribbon rolls are stored on a paper towel rack that just happens to have a shelf on it too. Some of my other full size rolls are stored in a plastic container. My small ribbon rolls are stored in quart size canning jars. The idea for storing leftover pieces of ribbon on a small "dress form" came from a Creating Keepsakes Special Issue magazine called Scrapbooking Tips & Tricks. In addition to leftover pieces, I took some of my ribbon, cut it to the size I usually use on a card, and hung it on the dress form so it is ready to use. You can find these "dress forms" in places like HomeGoods, Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

The other day I told you how I store my wooden stamps, but forgot to mention how I store my clear ones. I store my clear ones in CD cases. Many times when you purchase a package of clear stamps there is a piece of plastic that shows the outline of the stamps in that set. I cut that plastic up and use Scor-Pal tape to attach it to the front and back of a cd case. Then I match the stamps to the outline and store them inside both parts of the cd case.

I have a great collection of brads. When I first started to make cards I saw this idea in a magazine called Organizing Your Scrapbook Supplies by the Making Memories Masters. You just push the brads into a bulletin board. This gives you a place to store your brads and adds color to your workspace. Many magazines show brads being stored in votive holders, on cupcake stands in silicone muffin wrappers, and in silicone ice cube trays. I have a couple of different votive holders that I use in my home for day to day storage. I have used the cupcake stand and ice cube tray ideas in my classes.

The craft fair is one week from today so I may not post as often as I like, but I will take pictures as I create my cards and will post when I can.
Enjoy your weekend!
Carol

No comments: