Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happy Watermelon Day!

Happy National Watermelon Day!



It's funny that July is National Watermelon Month, but National Watermelon Day is celebrated on the 3rd of August. Over the years I have celebrated all kinds of "major" holidays like today's with my children and students. It's been especially fun to see Robbie using some of the activities I have done with him  in one of the camp programs he's been working in this summer.

Rob's been working in 2 camp programs in this heat and humidity. Marie took 2 graduate classes in the Summer One Session and is currently taking 2 graduate classes in the Summer Two Session along with working part time. She lives at home 4 days a week and lives with Jeanne 3 days a week to help shorten her commute to school. Both kids will be here for dinner tonight so I plan to celebrate National Watermelon Day with them. My car's in the shop and I won't be able to pick it up until later this afternoon so I'll have to make due with what I have for this celebration.

I looked around my house and found

watermelon salt and pepper shakers

watermelon spreaders

dinner plates with a watermelon image

watermelon bowls

a tray with slices of watermelon on it

plastic tumblers with watermelon on them

paper napkins with a watermelon image on them

a toss pillow with watermelon slices
It's not a holiday without some paper crafts so I looked in my stash and found...

a Dandelion Designs wooden stamp of a monkey eating a slice of watermelon, a Dandelion Designs wooden stamp with the text "sending you watermelon smiles, a watermelon clear stamp from the Hero Arts "Simply the Best" clear stamp set

a roll of watermelon ribbon

And a sheet of watermelon slice paper from Little Yellow Bicycle's Sweet Summertime Collection.  Forgot to take a photograph of it, but you'll see it being used on some cards...keep reading!



Well, thought I'd whip up a few cards to help celebrate the day. 


I had some perfect sheets of paper from dcwv's Cotton Bloom Stack (Thanks Peggy!) I used my Martha Stewart circle cutter to cut a 5.5" green circle. I scored that circle and folded it half to create my card. Then I cut a 5.25" circle out of a sparkly green paper. I cut it in half and glued that half to my card. Next I cut a 5" circle from a sheet of red/pink paper. I cut it in half and glued it to the green paper. I used an EK Success daisy punch to punch a black daisy. I cut the petals of that daisy into watermelon seeds and adhered them to the card. Rather than stamp the text directly onto the watermelon slice, I stamped it onto a scrap of paper, punched it out with a one inch circle punch and adhered it to the card. LOVE it!  Hope you can tell that this card is shaped like a slice of watermelon. 


The green paper I used on this card is also from the Cotton Bloom Stack. It reminds me of the green plastic berry baskets strawberries and bluerries used to be sold in. The text was stamped with one of my favorite Impression Obsession's wooden stamps. I cut the watermelon slices from the sheet of Little Yellow Bicycle paper and then used a hand punch to create "bites" in each in slice. Notice that the scallops I cut on my green paper are the shape of watermelon slices.
 

The monkey images and text were stamped with Dandelion Designs wooden stamps.  I watercolored the monkeys before I fussy cut them and adhered them to watermelon images that I also fussy cut before I adhered them to the card with foam tape.  Watermelon paper is from Little Yellow Bicycle and the glittery green paper is from the dcwv Cotton Bloom paper pad.  
 
Remember the toss pillow that I showed you earlier in this post?
 


It's a one of two very cool pillows that Jeanne bought me at Kohls years ago.  You can unbutton the front of each pillow and change the seasonal picture.  One of the summer images is the watermelon you see here and the other is a patriotic design.  Well, this watermelon pillow inspired this watermelon card...
 
Hope you enjoyed this very long post.  The table is set...
And now it's time to plan the menu!

Happy Watermelon Day!
Carol
 


No comments: