Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

Knit One, Purl Two

Hi Everyone!


I wrote my very first post for this blog on Monday, March 29, 2010. This is my 100th post which means that in the past 194 days I have written 100 posts. That's just slightly more than a post every other day. Maintaining a blog is time-consuming and work, but it's also a lot of fun. I love creating cards and sharing them with you. I enjoy reading the comments that some of you write and wish more readers would post comments so that everyone could learn from each other.

When I was growing up our family usually spent 2 weeks of every summer at Cape Cod and 2 weeks in different parts of New Hampshire. My mother loved the beach and although I do remember her swimming in the water with my father, my brother, and my 3 sisters, I have stronger memories of her sitting on the beach knitting mittens and hats for all of us. During the summer she only knitted part of the areas of the mittens where the fingers and thumb belong. As winter drew closer she'd have us try on our mittens , would measure our thumb and fingers and then would quickly finish our mittens. I loved to watch my mother knit. I always felt that she was the fastest and best knitter in the world. Her stitches were always exactly the same size.






Today is October 8, 2010. Today would have been my mother's 86th birthday. I decided to create this birthday card to honor her memory. Happy birthday, Mom. I think of you often and wish that you, Robbie and Marie had had the opportunity to meet each other.







My friend Susan DeMuth from Shapes, ETC. will be arriving at my home sometime tomorrow afternoon. She is driving from Dansville, New York to spend the long weekend visiting with me. We are planning to spend the entire weekend talking, eating, and paper crafting. I am sure I will have new cards and ideas to share with you early next week.


I hope you have a great weekend.
Carol

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Those little mittens look just like the Ellison die-cuts. Sorry about your mom. I know how that feels. I was just thinking yesterday that now there will be no more Mother's Day cards from me.

Carol Hartery said...

Hi Cindy!
You're good. Those are Sizzix mitten die cuts. Of all of my mitten dies those are my favorite.
I will tell you how I cope with Mother's Day each year. I pick someone and honor them on Mother's Day. One year I made about 6 women who would be in the same age group as my mother each a set of note cards and a cute gift bag. One year I bought about 6 of my peers a bracelet. The money raised through the sales of those bracelets was donated to cancer research.
And better still you and I can talk to each other on Mother's Day and make fun of each other's accents!

Peggy Burns said...

Loving the mitten card. We need to set a date so I can buy my Thanksgiving cards. Hope you are enjoying your weekend with your friend.