Search This Blog

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hanukkah, Candy Canes and Yarn!

Hi Everyone!
I have so many stories to share with you today and of course some cards to go along with those stories.


I purchased and 2 days later received a set of Hanukkah stamps from Lawn Fawn. I love everything about this fairly-new-company. I always receive my order 2 days after I place it. The quality of the stamps is exceptional and I especially love the fonts they use on their stamps. The set of Hanukkah stamps includes a dreidel, a Star of David, a menorrah, and the phrase "Happy Hanukkah".

Here's one of the cards I created with the dreidel stamp. Whenever I see a dreidel I think of the "Dreidel Song" we used to sing in school back in the days when we did sing Christmas and Hanukkah songs in school. While I was creating the card I was singing the song to myself. I embossed the layering paper with a Cuttlebug music embossing folder before I attached it to the card. The text was created with some stickers. The dreidels are attached to the card with pop dots to make them look more realistic. I think that a child would love to receive this card.

I also ordered a set of Harold's ABCs from Lawn Fawn.  Harold's ABCs is a set of 103 upper and lowercase letter stamps.  There are multiples of most of the lowercase letters which means you can create complete phrases all at once and stamp them on your card.  I created several different versions of this "Oh Christmas Tree" card.  I used a musical embossing folder for the background of some of the cards and a Christmas tree embossing folder for the background of others.  I used an EK Success pine tree punch to create the trees.


I told you that Toni and I went to Ink About It in Westford, MA on Thursday. I behaved myself and only bought a few stamps, about a dozen sheets of paper, and one package of cards. One of the stamps that called out to me was a basket of yarn and a second one was a stocking being knitted. I HAD to purchase both of those stamps. I've shared my memories of my mother and her knitting with you. When I see knitting and sewing stamps I immediately think of my mom. When I see tea stamps I think of Jan and when I see anything "dog" I think of Jeanne. That's just the way my mind works.


Here's the first card I created with my new knitting theme stamps. I LOVE it. "Sending warm fuzzies" is from a set of Hero Arts clear stamps. Some of my Christmas cards will have the same images on them along with the text "warm winter wishes" . I know I have that stamp in my collection.


My head is spinning as I have so many cards planned. A few weeks ago I saw a new Fiskars candy cane squeeze punch in one of the chain stores. I wanted it, but didn't have a coupon with me and it wasn't on sale, so I waited. While I was at Ink About It I saw some candy cane paper that I KNEW would be perfect with that punch so I bought 2 sheets of the paper, went to JoAnn's and bought the punch and came home to "play" with my new toys. Remember the "Enjoy the Sweet Things in Life" wooden stamp that I used over and over again this past summer. Well, I thought that would be a great stamp to use with candy canes. I bought some red and white cord at Michaels yesterday, but it turned out it's a little too stiff to use the way I had planned so I will save it for gift bags, etc. I glanced up at rolls of ribbon that are on the shelf in front of me and sitting there waiting for me patiently was a roll of ribbon with candy canes on it. Perfect. I also found some tiny plastic candy canes in one of my clear storage containers. So here's my card. I embossed the layering paper with a swirly Cuttlebug embossing folder.


I will be at the Fall Flaire Craft Show in Acton next Saturday, November 6. On November 20 I will be at the Saint Joseph's Craft Fair in Wakefield and on December 11 I will be at the Polar Bear Craft Fair in Reading. Meanwhile I have also been busy creating more cards for the Wayland Depot.


I have lots of other cards to share with you, but for now I must get back to work.
Have a great weekend.
Carol

1 comment:

Jan Plourde said...

Just had a cup of tea and decided to read your blog. Very creative stuff you do!Good luck tomorrow.Don't forget to have a cup of tea!