Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gingerbread House in a Frame

Hi Everyone!

About 6 weeks ago I read that May Arts Ribbon was having a "Deck the Halls with Burlap" Challenge.  The challenge was to use 4 of their burlap ribbons to create your choice of a holiday craft.  Every participant was sent 2 yards of the 4 ribbons. 

The moment I saw the photograph of the wide ribbon with the red and white striped edges I thought of using it on a gingerbread house.  When my ribbon arrived I pulled out my Christmas brads and buttons and started to plan my project.

I traced the edges of a gingerbread house pan onto a sheet of Memory Box paper and cut it out.   Then I used 1/2" wide Scorpal tape to help pleat the wide ribbon that I used for the shingles on the roof. 
I threaded the thin green burlap ribbon through some peppermint buttons that MaryBeth gave me a few years ago and used glue dots to adhere them to the "shingles".  You can see that I used a piece of the wide ribbon for the chimney, doors, and part of the windows. 

A 3rd kraft colored burlap ribbon became the shutters for my house.  I think that may be my favorite ribbon.  I stitched a tree with the 4th ribbon. 

The wreaths and candy canes are brads.  The taffy candies are Martha Stewart stickers.  The decorations on the tree are brads, Favorite Findings buttons, and stickers. 

I used my pink Marvy Uchida circle punch to create the moon and then I used an A Muse Artstamp to stamp Santa and his sleigh flying across the moon. 

The layering paper is from SEI's Kris Kringle collection. 

You can also see this project on the May Arts blog where you can see how other participants used their ribbon.  Please leave a comment here or on the May Arts blog.

Have a great day! 
Carol

1 comment:

Georgie Horn said...

I love your gingerbread house! No calories! Come by for some holiday cheer!
http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2011/12/reindeer-incident-in-tennessee.html