Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Critters in the Burbs

Hi Everyone!

Today’s card was created with some of the clear stamps from Lawn Fawn's Critters in the Burbs set. You can create a wonderful variety of cute and fun cards with the 18 adorable stamps in this set.

I used my Martha Stewart fringing scissors to create the grass that is growing on the hills. After snipping the original fringe I went back and cut between the middle of the original fringe to make the blades of grass even thinner.

I stamped some clouds with a light ink just so I could see them. I cut them out and used the backs of them on my card. You might wonder why. Well, I tried stamping clouds with white ink directly onto the sky paper I used as background paper on the card. They didn’t show up well enough for me. I am rarely happy with things I stamp with white ink. After I had cut out the clouds that I did use I used my paper piercer to make them look as if they were stitched onto the card. I sort of wish I had pierced the trees too. Oh, well. I can do that on another card.

I finally broke down and treated myself to some Copic markers. I heard you laughing Toni! Heck, it will give Robbie, Marie, and Jeanne something to give to me for Christmas and my birthday!

Anyway as I was saying I finally broke down and treated myself to some Copic markers. Before I went to the store I educated myself by watching lots of videos showing how to use them. I bought them because I feel I have gotten the hang of stamping, but that I am never happy with my coloring. I am very excited about my purchases. You may not understand what I am trying to say here, but I like the way the markers feel in my hands as I use them. The color goes onto the paper effortlessly.

Now in video after video that I watched it was suggested that you buy 3 markers in the same color range. I wanted to buy a few different colors so I only bought 2 of each in the color range. I wish I had gotten green markers with a wider contrast, but I didn’t have much choice at the store yesterday. I will buy an additional green marker on another day. Some of the markers I purchased are called "sketch" and others are called "original". I now know that I prefer the "sketch" ones. The nibs on the sketch markers feel like a paintbrush. I also bought a blender pen. I think it's wonderful! It takes away some of the color and creates a look that I like.

I know that my photograph doesn’t show the shading that I achieved and I know that my shading could be better, but I believe that I will get there one day. When I first started to stamp I had splotches of ink on my cards and on my hands. I’ve been stamping for about a year now and I am usually happy with my results.

I used glossy accents on the squirrel’s tail and on the dog’s tag. I think you can see that the apples on the trees were made with tiny red Favorite Findings buttons. Robbie didn’t like them. He thinks I shouldn’t have used buttons with holes on them. If you don’t like that look either you could use some red brads or red gems.

That’s it for today! Time to do some laundry and major housecleaning.
Carol

1 comment:

~kelly marie~ said...

Such a fabulous and cute card! I love your grass hills!