Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Halloween Altered Frames

Good Morning Everyone!

The calendar may say August 23, but nearly every store I have been in is filled with products for Halloween.  I haven't decorated our home for Halloween yet-even for me it's a little too early for that.  But around me there are signs of Halloween cards and crafts.  Orange and black ribbons, pompoms, buttons and sand are out in the open along with Halloween papers and embellishments. 

Did you know that Halloween is the second most decorated holiday in the USA?  I can understand why.  All of those gorgeous fall colors are so tempting.  Although I have become mainly a cardmaker, lately I have been doing a lot of crafts.  For Halloween so far I have created 3 altered frames.

Here's the first altered frame I created this season. 
I just LOVE it.  All of the papers are from SEI.  So are the ghosts, owls, pumpkins, and borders.  I removed the glass from the frame and then cut some of SEI's Eerie Alley "Batty" paper to use as the background paper.  I laid the paper in the frame's opening without actually attaching it and created my scene.  When I was satisfied with my creation I backed the paper with sheets of chipboard to fill in the space that the glass would have filled.

When I was shopping I spotted an altered frame.  Instead of three 3"x5" photographs in the spaces of a frame there were the letters "B-O-O".  I liked that concept and purchased a frame that had spaces for three 3"x5" photographs.  I came home, created different sizes of the letters "b" and "o" and tried them out in the spaces of my frame.  I wasn't particularly excited about the look of any of them and so I created this scene.
It's similar to the first one I created, but you can see that I have 3 scenes in place of 3 photographs.  Study the background paper.  Do you see the ghosts?  More cool paper from SEI.  I used paper punches to create the spiders and the moon, but other than that most of the papers and embellishments are from SEI.  The pumpkins were cut from a K and Company border. 

Janet and I went on a "field trip" yesterday and when we got back to my house we talked "crafts".  While we were flipping through an old copy of a Goosepatch Christmas magazine Janet spotted a holiday shadow box that she loved.  The words "Happy Holidays" were created with gift tags.  She suggested we create something similar in one of my craft classes. 

Well, since I am in a Halloween mood last night I used Halloween papers to create some gift tags and used them to create this altered frame.


It's not my best photography, but in some ways it adds to the eeriness of the project.  That cool sheer spider ribbon is from SEI as are the alphabet stickers and the background paper.  The orange ribbon with a black thread running through it was in my stash.  The tags were cut from a dcwv pad.  I used my Crop a dile to add an eyelet to each tag.  Kind of fun, don't you think?

I'll be back sometime soon to share more of my creations. 
Have a great day!
Carol

No comments: