Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Moving to a New Home Cards

Hi Everyone!
One of the things I love about making my own cards is that I don't need to run to the store each time I want to send someone a card. I just dig into my stash of paper and stamps and create a card I need for any occasion.



Okay, I admit it. Sometimes it takes a little more planning than that. I knew that a couple of special people in my life were moving to new homes so I went to one of my favorite stamp sites, www.addictedtorubberstamps.com, put in keywords such as "new home" and "house" and found what I wanted. Two days later the stamps I had ordered were sitting in my mailbox. The next time someone moves to a new home, I'll already have some stamps to use.


Yesterday my sister Jeanne moved from her condo into her first house. About a month ago my friend Sandy moved from her house into her first condo. These events called for a congratulations card because we all know that buying a new home and moving into it aren't easy things to do.


The text on this card is from "A Country Welcome" stamp that I purchased from http://www.addictedtorubberstamps.com/. I found the paper piecing pattern for the house on the Scrapbooks, ETC. web site. The paper I used for the house and the grass is from Cosmo Cricket's "Material Girl" mini deck. I toyed with the idea of using paper that would make a more realistic looking house, but decided this paper was much more fun.

I used my Martha Stewart fringing scissors to fringe the grass. After I had glued everything onto some gingham look layering paper from my stash I ran the paper through a Cuttlebug embossing folder to give it a quilted look. Now the fringe on the grass doesn't show up as well, but that's okay with me. I love the look of the card.  (I moved the rhinestone doorknob back onto the door after I studied my photograph!)



Jeanne asked me to make her some change of address cards. "Riley" is the love of Jeanne's life. Riley is Jeanne's dog. So when I found the Great Impressions doghouse stamp I used on the fronts of these cards I knew it was the perfect stamp for Jeanne's cards.   The dog bones were cut from a Sizzix die.


After stamping the image onto some white tag I used watercolor pencils and some of my Marvy Twinklette markers to color the image. I put a coat of glossy accents over the dog. Actually I discovered it was better for me to put the glossy accents on first so that "Riley" didn't end up with red paws when I watercolored the doghouse. The "I've Moved" text inside the card is from a JudiKins stamp.  I used a variety of papers from the dcwv Pets Stack for the layering papers on the cards.





I used PaperTreyInk's Around the Town timeless template to create a gift bag for the cards. The paper I used for the gift bag and tag is from dcwv Nana's Kitchen block.


 
 
 
Have a great night!
Carol

No comments: